Aston Martin denies change of ownership plans after massive losses

Aston Martin parent company Aston Martin Lagonda has denied the Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) – its largest shareholder – is looking to increase its ownership stake and delist the company from the London Stock Exchange (LSE).

A November 14 report in the Financial Times suggested AML executive chairman, Lawrence Stroll, had begun negotiations with PIF to up its current 19.5 per cent stake, but the automaker told PlanetF1.com: “Aston Martin is not in talks with PIF about being taken private”. 

Mr Stroll has the second largest stake in AML with a 16 per cent share, ahead of other high-profile stakeholders including Geely chairman Shu Fu Li (14.9 per cent), Swiss investor Ernesto Bertarelli (13.8 per cent), and Mercedes-Benz (7.5per cent).

As reported by PlanetF1.com (Aston Martin fields a team in Formula 1), AML was listed on the LSE in 2018 but has lost more than 98 per cent of its value since then. 

CarExpert can save you thousands on a new car. Click here to get a great deal.

In October, it announced a higher-than-expected pre-tax loss of £106.9 million ($A216.2m) for the July-September quarter. 

After the loss, the company said it would cut development spending on new models by £300 million over the next five years. 

In February 2025, newly installed Aston Martin CEO Adrian Hallmark declared his goal of making the iconic brand sustainably profitable by 2029, defying the brand’s long history of loss-making vehicles. 

“To be the first guy in 112 years to make Aston Martin sustainably profitable – when I believe there is a way to do so – was irresistible,” Mr Hallmark told Automotive News.

“If it doesn’t work, nothing lost. If it does, we’ve done it.”